This is Not an Uplifting Post--Warned

I'm blessed. I'm insanely, unfairly blessed. I have a strong, supportive husband, three beautiful sons, and a growing writing career. I'm also manic, the survivor of a father who committed suicide 26 years ago, and a survivor of my own attempts.Right now I'm happy. I know how blessed I am, and how much I deserve the love of my family.

Last night my sister called me to ask if I knew why every police officer in our small Alabama town was parked at a local pharmacy (my husband is a local firefighter, hers a local police officer, but both were working). I didn't.

This morning at church, I learned there had been an attempted homicide/successful suicide a block from my house. A man had chased his wife all around town, had fired at her, and when she ran into the drug store for refuge, he had gone to the back of the building and turned the gun on himself.

Not long after having last night's commotion at the pharmacy explained we heard even more saddening news; this morning another local man--for whatever reason, many of which I can imagine--took his life, leaving behind two small daughters.

Two suicides in a tiny Southern community, in little over twelve hours. I can't accurately guess what led to those points in those lives, but I cried for them to have fallen there. I cried for the woman, who must have been both terrified and at a loss, and I cried for the daughters, because I know what that feels like.

But mostly, I cried for the men.

They say suicide rates leap during the holiday season because people feel so much more alone and unloved than at other times of year, that the 'unattainable' taunt of love and hope is too much to bear. I would like to remind readers, both those who suffer from emotional troubles, and those who love them, this is the time to hold your loved ones close, to make sure they know how amazing and important they are to you, and how willing you are to help them with whatever needs they have.

Now, when fictional holiday cheer threatens to overwhelm, is the time to embody real hope.

6 comments:



Bria Quinlan said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sad to hear about what's going on in your community this weekend.

I have the strongest urge to go hug someone.

Robyn said...

I never know how to comment on things like this, but I feel like I should.

It's so sad to hear about things like that around the holidays, but if anything good ever comes of it, it makes us appreciate the people around us as much as possible.

I'll e-mail you later, but probably not tonight, since i have homework to do and stuff :(

Narkya said...

It made me cry, but that's ok. It's important to know your loved, it's so easy to feel lost in this world.

Denise said...

Thanks for being a writer and sharing your words with us all!

Brianne M Heavey said...

It's sad that this time of year is so horrible for some people, and great for others.

But just keep looking at the positives- like you are- thats ultimately what gets me through the day.

Holly said...

;_; I'm so sorry for those people. Everyone in your community must be talking about it, and talking about it never helps, it only starts gossip.
im glad your attemps failed.

Post a Comment